Monday, April 9, 2007

Ubuntu Edgy Eft

PCLinuxOS issue
The Beagle latest version was not available for PCLinuxOS, and my operating system already contained many garbage anyway, so it's good time to try other distro.

I have downloaded several distros last week : Ubuntu Edgy Eft, Foresight Linux, Sabayon, and Yoper....

I decided to give Ubuntu a trial before the others, because of the popularity, and also stability (I need this since I'll use my PC for real work).

Ubuntu Edgy smooth installation
Anyway, the installation to my T42 was very quick, and no problem at all. I was connected to the Internet via wireless in no time. Btw., the installation was performed on the same PCLinux partition with hd6 (contains old /home) not formatted. When the installation finished, all data at /home still intact and no data was missing :)

Turned out the open office application runs much faster than PCLinuxOS. Ubuntu also offers software update. Nice !

Tomorrow I'll install the VirtualBox, CrossOver, etc. and have them compared with my PCLinuxOS experience.

Update
Ubuntu was faster than PCLinuxOS because Ubuntu was not running Beryl, while PCLinuxOS was running Beryl. PCLinuxOS was faster if Beryl not active. The problem was : Beryl was one main reason why I wanted to migrate to Linux, so Beryl MUST RUN on my main monitor and external monitor (later found out it is impossible to run Beryl on two monitor using IBM T42 - and force me to upgrade T42 to T60)

No comments: