Monday, June 11, 2007

VMWare Player 2.0 vs VirtualBox 1.4 on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn

I am using Ubuntu Feisty Fawn as the only OS in my PC. However, I need to run Microsoft Outlook, Visio, and PowerPoint. These applications runs best on Windows XP, that's why I need to run Windows XP on a virtual machine.

There are some virtualization software that runs on Ubuntu, but I tried only two of them (based on popularity) : VMware vs VirtualBox.

Today the latest version of VMware Player is version 2.0, and VirtualBox is version 1.4.

Area where VMware Player Win
VMware Player is slower compared to VirtualBox, but in my laptop (Lenovo T60) the VMware always runs smoothly and never crashed, not even once. Using the same testing, VirtualBox always crashed within several hours.

My testing is running Microsoft Powerpoint Show with random transition effect, clicked automatically (every second), and repeated non-stop. Beryl is active with full effect (cube rotation, 'expose' effect, transparency, etc.).

I did that testing, simply to simulate my presentation in front of public, and I don't want my XP guest OS is crashed in the middle of presentation.

Area where VirtualBox Wins
VirtualBox is much faster, perfect integration with Beryl (every Beryl effect could be triggered regardless of mouse position), perfect full-screen mode (no workaround such as hiding window frame), and much easier to install new guest os (VMware player need some tricks to do this).

Conclusion
VirtualBox is good and practical for playing, while VMware is perfect for my job. Even though VMware slower and have some annoying limitation.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is a lot of peolpe that is trying to put vmware player 2 in fullscreen; I am not a programmer, I am trying to make a kiosk computer and want to use vmware player on a windows XP PC.
If possible could you share how to put wmware player in full screen

Thanks
Giuseppe

Anonymous said...

I needed to run vmvare player 2.0.2 on a windows XP machine in full screen.

If you do know how could you share how to do

I am writing again because I don't know if my previous comment is arrived.

Thanks
Giuseppe

Tony Seno Hartono said...

Giuseppe, I am afraid I can't help you. I never tried to run VMware in a kiosk, I am also not running Windows XP.

I haven't played with VMware for several months now, but I still remember that :
1. You have to install the vmware tools in the guest os
2. After installing the vmware tools, you will be able to play around with screen resolution or change it to full screen (there is a hot button, but I forgot which ones)

If you're running a kiosk, I recommend to disable the control-alt-delete (I don't know how to do it with you Windows XP host...)

I also recommend you to try the VMware server. It's free, and has more options, but If I remember correctly, it can not generate sound.

If you're running a kiosk, why don't you try Linux ? Ubuntu is my favorite. Everything runs on Ubuntu, so I no longer has XP in my disk (even as VM...). Its also saver, since you could completely disable all hot button in a kiosk environment.

Anonymous said...

Tony
I know that Linux Ubuntu would be much better but the little problem is that I don't know Linux.

I tried with Vmware Server but it lacks of USB support and I need it to transfer the documents with an usb key.

As you suggested I have found a document on how to disable control-alt-delete and so it is much better.

I have been on holiday this days so I am answering now.

I thank you for your suggestions

Have an happy new year
Giuseppe