Thursday, June 28, 2007

Google Desktop Linux (gdlinux)

Download the gdlinux beta here

After it is installed, type : gdlinux to activate it.

GDLinux icon will be shown on the top panel like this :

Google Desktop Preferences
Before you could use gdlinux, you have to setup which folders should be indexed. Do not index all data on your hard disk, because indexing process is very slow, and indexes also take up some space (usually maximum is 10% of all your data).

In my case, I only put one folder : /home/thartono/data/shared to be indexed.

This folder is shared between my Linux system and the Windows XP VM (seen as drive z:).

Google Desktop and SeamlessRDP
One main benefit of this setup is that I could make a seamlessrdp script, so if I search for a file, for example "My Network Proposal.vsd" then I could just click on the file, and voila a Visio screen will pop up opening that vsd file (see picture below) :



Below is sample of the visio script file :

#!/bin/bash
echo rdesktop -A -s "'"c:\\seamlessrdp\\seamlessrdpshell.exe C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\visio11\\visio.exe \"$@\""'" thartono-wxp:3389 -u thartono -p xxxxxx >~/Desktop/rdesktop.cmd.txt
cat ~/Desktop/rdesktop.cmd.txt | sed "s_/_\\\_g" | sed "s_\\\home\\\thartono\\\data\\\shared_z:_g" |sh
rm ~/Desktop/rdesktop.cmd.txt

I know, my script looks messy, but it works for me..... :P

No comments: